These are incredibly simple and delicious. I get constant requests for them- they do not last very long. Over the years my husband and I have tried more baked potato “recipes” than I can count. This is THE method. We top them with our favorite classic toppings, but feel free to expand or simplify to just some grass-fed butter, salt and pepper.
These potatoes are unbelievably crunchy on the outside and almost mashed potato-like on the inside. I would make one large potato per person or two per person if they are on the small side. We actually prefer them when they are smaller.
These would be great, as my husband suggests, as an appetizer. For this, simply use the smallest Russet potatoes you can find. Adjust the oven time so that you don’t over cook them and serve the two halves separately. If they are still more than a couple of bites, you can cut each into quarters.
I usually serve them with our favorite Good Ranchers steaks, also cooked to perfection :). Add a salad and you have the perfect meal.
Recipe to serve 4 people.
4 large or 8 small-medium organic Russet potatoes
Pink Himalayan salt, as needed
Optional: grass-fed butter as desired.
1 cup sour cream
8oz bacon cooked and chopped
Chives for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425*. Scrub the potatoes with a vegetable brush under running water. Poke holes with a fork all around each potato.
- While potatoes are still wet, place about a teaspoon of salt on a plate and roll the potatoes in the salt to cover the skins, add more as needed.
- When the oven is ready, place potatoes directly on the rack. Depending on the size they may take anywhere from 1-2 hours.
- When they are very crisp, cut open and fluff the insides with a fork. Place back in the oven for 10 minutes. I put them on a rack for the last 10 minutes to make it faster, but be careful, they will slide around.
- If you are going to use butter, now is the time! Top with the garnishes suggested, go crazy with other toppings or keep it simple with butter, salt and pepper.
What are your go-to baked potato toppings?