This dish is so delicious. It is perfectly spicy, a little sweet and perfectly balanced. My husband asked me to make a spicy chicken dish similar to something we had at a party, pretty sure it was Chicken Scarpariello. This is what I came up with.
The sauce is out of this world. You are going to want to serve with a crusty loaf of (garlic!) bread for the ultimate sauce soaking bites. This portion made enough for 8 people for an entree. We ate half of it and will have the second half over some rigatoni for leftovers in a couple of days. This dish is incredible and even better when you make it a day or two in advance which makes it even more convenient as a make ahead meal for a crowd!
Cookie sheet or large plate
2lbs red potatoes, cut in even bite sized pieces
2T olive oil (+as needed)
1lb sweet Italian sausage, cut in bite sized pieces
4T flour (use quinoa flour to maintain GF), season with salt/pepper
2.5lb chicken breasts, cut/pound to even thickness
1 large sweet onion, sliced
2 small or 1 large sweet pepper sliced
3 large cloves garlic, sliced
1 cup white wine
2-4 cups chicken broth (+as needed to cover)
1 cup jarred spicy cherry peppers, sliced
1/2 cup cherry pepper juice
1t fresh oregano, chopped
1. Place the potatoes in cold, salted water. Bring to boil and cook to almost tender, drain and hold.
2. Meanwhile prep the other ingredients. Preheat a large sautoir, place 2T olive oil and the sliced sausage. Cooked to browned, remove and hold. Toss the chicken in the seasoned flour then brown the chicken on both sides in batches, hold. Season with kosher salt as soon as the chicken comes out of the pan.
3. Add 2T more olive oil if needed and sauté the onions and peppers, season with salt and cook to translucent, scraping up the flavor from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the garlic and cook one more minute. Add in the wine and cook down by half.
4. Add in the sausage, chicken, cherry peppers and juice, chicken stock, potatoes and oregano. Add extra chicken stock until everything is almost covered.
5. Bring to boil, simmer 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Adjust seasoning as desired. If you want it spicier, add more pepper juice.